Monday, March 21, 2011

A Colorful Endeavor

So this meal was very good but may have been a bit more intense than I anticipated.  What was great about it was how colorful it ended up being and for anyone who has really tried for lifestyle change around food, you will know the rule of thumb is to make your dishes colorful.  That way, you know you're getting your veggies!

So tonight, the food delight was Guacamole Chicken & Spanish Rice.  I did my own modifications to it, mostly adding more veggies and bulking it up.  It was great but I think that next time I will try to make the guacamole the day before so I don't have to do so much chopping.  A trick I've done before is to spend the weekend chopping up veggies so that when I'm ready to make whatever I am making I don't have to spend as much time during the week.  I also think that the lettuce I used (red leaf) didn't really work for the wrap...I just can't find lettuce that is big enough!

I definitely recommend this one, but just be prepared for at least an hour of cooking/chopping/creating and I would also recommend cutting the recipe a bit unless you want leftovers or have enough people to feed...it made a ton!

Guacamole Chicken
10 servings (1 wrap = 1 serving)

Ingredients:
3 avocados
1/4 onion
3 roma tomatoes
1/2 cup black beans
2 cloves garlic, minced
1/4 cup chopped cilantro
1/2 lime
garlic powder, to taste
salt & pepper, to taste

Directions:
Season the chicken with garlic powder, salt and pepper and put in a preheated oven at 350 degrees for 20 minutes. 

In the meantime, peel the avocado into a bowl and mash it up. Dice the tomatoes and onion and add to the mixture. Add the black beans, garlic and cilantro.  Squeeze the lime juice into the mixture and add spices.

When the chicken is done cube it and add it to the guacamole mixture.  Place mixture in lettuce or tortillas for the wrap you prefer!  (w/lettuce it is only 5 points on Weight Watchers, with tortilla it is more!)


Spanish Rice
(? servings)

Ingredients:
1 cup long grain brown rice
1 bell pepper
1/4 onion
1/2 cup black beans
2 cups water/chicken broth
1 10-oz can of diced tomatoes w/green chiles
garlic powder, to taste
onion salt, to taste
cumin, to taste
salt and pepper, to taste

Directions:
Saute onion, bell pepper and black beans in a skillet with a small amount of olive oil.  Once slightly browned, add the cup of uncooked rice and brown rice well.  Add watr or chicken broth and can of tomatoes.  Season with spices and let simmer for 20 minutes or until the rice has soaked up the water.  Enjoy!




2 comments:

  1. This looks YUMMY! How much chicken did you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I used just one chicken breast...and it was super yummy!

    ReplyDelete