Wednesday, March 16, 2011

Breakfast Mini Egg Souffles

Okay, so they aren't quite a souffle but I just can't bring myself to call something an "egg muffin."  Sounds not as tasty, right?  Anyway, these are a very good breakfast food that I whip up in bulk once a week and keep in ziplocks in the fridge.  They keep well and microwave up easily for a breakfast on the go, which is usually how I do it!  Kaela and Justin both love these and it is another good recipe to get veggies into without being too obvious.  Little does my silly family know but that they are eating a ton of veggies!

Something you will find if you continue to read about my cooking is that I do not always measure the ingredients (if I'm baking, I absolutely measure!).  I tend to estimate spices and measurements to just keep in mind that the following recipe is based a little bit on my estimations.  I think the best if you aren't comfortable with spices is to play around with them without measuring and just try to get comfortable.  That's how I did it!

Anyway, here's the recipe:

Breakfast Mini Egg Souffles
(makes 36 servings, PointsPlus value = 1)

Ingredients:
12 whole eggs
14 egg whites
1 red pepper
1/2 large white onion
1/2 cup frozen chopped spinach
4 servings Jimmy Dean Turkey Sausage links
1/4 cup 2% milk (or whatever you prefer)
1 cup fat free shredded cheddar cheese
garlic powder
onion salt
salt & pepper
olive oil cooking spray

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Chop onion and red pepper (or any other veggie you wish to add!) into small bits (not a very technical cooking term :-)).  Add these along with the chopped spinach to a heated skillet with some olive oil spray and heat the veggies until they are warmed but not browned. 

Remove from the heat and cool for a few minutes.  Crumble the sausage links into smaller pieces and heat in the skillet, remove after a few minutes and cool.  While veggies and sausage are being cooking a bit, mix up the uncooked eggs.  Add salt and pepper to taste as well as a tsp (or dash) of garlic powder and likewise of onion salt.  Mix in the cooled veggies, sausage, milk, and cheese to the raw eggs and stir.  


Using the cooking spray, coat a regular sized muffin tin.  Evenly distribute the egg mixture in the muffin tin, only filling the individual cups about 3/4 full.  Cook in the preheated oven for approximately 12-15 minutes or until the egg is cooked.  Let them cook on a paper towel or rack and then you can bag them up for later!


Feel free to add or modify the veggies or additions to these.  I put a lot of veggies because I like how unobtrusive they are in this, but these would be equally good with potatoes or other types of meat.  Next time, I think I might try to make these with green chiles for a little kick and I've also thought that asparagus would be good chopped up in these.  You can also put cheese on top of them but I mixed it in because the fat free cheese can be weird sometimes in how it cooks.  There's a lot of versatility to this recipe so have fun with it!

No comments:

Post a Comment