Monday, June 13, 2011

I'm growing gills...

So I was remembering this one time at camp (no, not the band variety) when I participated in probably one of the stupidest and most ridiculous contests ever known to man.  In some states people have died in such contests, but for me the only pain involved is that somewhere out there is a video of me doing something that once it hits the internet is going to ruin my career.  That's right.  It was a water drinking contest.

Okay, get whatever you thought the video was of out of your head and focus now.

So the short story is that a few of us were being silly and decided to figure out how much water we could drink in a limited number of time...I can't remember how long, but I remember it felt like the longest few minutes of my life.  The three of us settled down with little dixie cups that our friends were filling with water as we drank it as quickly as we could.  The first one to go flew from the room and I'm not sure where she ended up, but she didn't return.  Then the second one ran to the door and made it luckily into the bushes before, well, you know.  And thus it was I who won the contest, realized it was over and reached for the tub of popcorn before, well, you know.

Now I'm not really proud of that moment (or the subsequent video footage that we decided, for some god-awful reason, to blow up with a projector the next night) but I am proud to say that I am a champion water drinker.  And when it comes to weight loss, water is a serious secret weapon.  Over the past three weeks I have gotten back to my normal water drinking and it feels wonderful.  It fills me up so I'm not as hungry, it flushes out the gross toxins and I just feel better.  I try to focus on all those benefits as I take about 10 bathroom breaks a day.

Today, as I was thinking about water and all of its glories, it got me to thinking about quantity.  My entire life I've heard the "8 glasses a day" method and it has always confused the heck out of me for the basic reason that glasses come in all different sizes.  And then you hear, no it's "8 cups a day."  To me that translates to 64 ounces a day which sounds a little more standardized, but still seems like it's just not enough.  And then I came across this calculator which comes a little closer to what I really drink every day.

At any rate, drinking water is definitely a good habit, but one that can be hard to keep up.  I recommend having something to flavor it (I use this new MIO stuff that's great!) and starting early.  Drink a bottle with every meal and one inbetween every one too.  Carry a bigger bottle with you and you'll be surprised how much water you can drink. 

And my basic rule of thumb?  Drink at least half your weight in ounces every day!  How much do you drink?

No comments:

Post a Comment